Brooks Sports names Nation's 25 Most Inspiring High school Running Coaches, release, note by Larry Eder
Brooks Sports started this program last year, and it has taken off. The Brooks Sports 25 Most Inspiring High School Running Coaches is a great grassroots program to recognize some of the 37,553 head high school cross country and track & field coaches, who coach 1.4 million athletes six days a week, 46 weeks a year, two hours, fifteen minutes a day. When one averages out what a high school running coach makes, it is surely not about the money. Coaches are role models, teachers, cheer leaders and listeners.
Brooks Sports Names Nation's 25 Most Inspiring High School Running Coaches
Fans Encouraged to Vote for Their Favorite Finalists, Help Pick 2012 Inspiring
Coach of the Year
Bothell, Wash. - July 24, 2012 - Complete dedication to their teams and communities.
The ability to motivate and support their athletes during challenging situations. An
unwavering Run Happy spirit. After reviewing more than 1,300 nominations for high school
track and/or cross country coaches who inspire their athletes every day, Brooks Sports,
Inc. today announced this year's top 25 and will share each coach's unique, poignant
story with the running community so they can help select the 2012 Inspiring Coach of
"Running at the high school level can be a very powerful experience. These young
athletes have many options for how they spend their free time, but they're choosing
to participate in active, community-rich programs that ideally inspire a lifetime
of running and healthy well-being," said Jim Weber, president and CEO of Brooks
Sports, Inc. "This year we received very meaningful stories about inspiring coaches
who lead these programs, and we're super excited to honor them for the immense
dedication they've given their athletes and our sport."
Beginning today, runners, community members, students, and more are invited to visit
www.facebook.com/brooksrunning to learn about the finalist coaches and their special
stories. Fans are encouraged to show support by voting for their favorites by
Sept. 2, 2012. This year's most inspiring coach will be announced in September 2012.
Hailing from high schools across the U.S., Brooks' 25 most inspiring high school
track and/or cross country coaches for 2012 are:
· Pete Boudreaux, Catholic High School (Baton Rouge, LA)
· Kay Nekota, Vacaville High School (Vacaville, CA)
· Mark Buesing, Libertyville High School (Libertyville, IL)
· John O'Malley, Carl Sandburg High School (Orland Park, IL)
· Mike Buslepp, Romeo High School (Romeo, MI)
· Israel Pose, Torrance High School (Torrance, CA)
· Hernando Chavez, Taos High School (Taos, NM)
· Joseph Prince, Sahuarita High School (Sahuarita, AZ)
· Christian Cuthbert, Veritas School (Richmond, VA)
· Paul Raley, Benton High School (Benton, WI)
· Jeremy Darby, Landrum High School (Campobello, SC)
· Wayne Roberts, Sandusky High School (Sandusky, MI)
· David Davis, Mountain View High School (Stafford, VA)
· Dan Scroggins, Lake City Community School (Lake City, CO)
Julie Fink, Runnels High School (Baton Rouge, LA)
· Mark Shafer, Chardon High School (Chardon, OH)
· Scott Griggs, Franklin High School (Seattle, WA)
· Arthemon Sindayigaya, Abilene Christian High School (Abilene, TX)
· Eric Heintz, Marist School (Atlanta, GA)
· Ben Talsma, Crossroads Charter Academy (Big Rapids, MI)
· Marcus Jackson, Sheffield High School (Memphis, TN)
· Melissa Thomas, Manchester Valley High School (Manchester, MD)
· Victoria Jones, Mill Springs Academy (Alpharetta, GA)
· Connie Washnik, Park Ridge High School (Park Ridge, NJ)
· Jerry Loveall, Velma-Alma High School (Velma, OK)
Each of the Inspiring Coaches finalists will receive $5,000 in Brooks performance
running footwear, apparel, and accessories for their team, $500 in cash for
additional team expenses, and membership into the Brooks Inspire Daily (I.D.) program.
The Brooks I.D. program is an invitation-only influencer group with members who are
active in their running communities and share a passion for the Brooks brand. The
2012 Inspiring Coach of the Year will also receive an additional $5,000 in Brooks
gear, $2,000 in cash and a trip for two to the 2013 Brooks PR Invitational.
Brooks Sports, Inc. created the Brooks Inspiring Coaches program in February 2011 to
identify and honor coaches across the nation who put in extra time and resources to
build and keep their programs strong, make a lasting difference in the lives of their
athletes, and inspire everyone in the community to run and be active. In an effort to
bolster its support for coaches and their high school running teams nationwide, Brooks
decided to more than double its investment in the Inspiring Coaches program for 2012 by
increasing the number of finalists from 10 to 25.
For more information on the 2012 top 25 Inspiring Coaches finalists and to vote for
your favorite, visit www.Facebook.com/brooksrunning.
Brooks Sports, Inc. is a leading running company that designs and markets a line of
performance footwear, apparel, and accessories in more than 60 countries worldwide.
A Berkshire Hathaway Inc. company, Brooks was founded in 1914 and is headquartered
in Bothell, Wash., near Seattle. The company's mission is to inspire everyone to run
and be active by creating innovative gear that keeps them running longer, farther,
and faster. Visit www.brooksrunning.com for more information, and follow frequent
brand updates on Twitter (@brooksrunning) and Facebook, www.Facebook.com/brooksrunning