We missed this release from Brooks about their strong first half growth, in the flurry around the Olympics. Performance running is still strong, even with the daily negative comments on the US economy. In my travels, the economy seems to be picking up in US. The London Olympics simply saved the British economy, with jobs for youth especially and the Paralympics should do the same.
Amy Hastings, 2012 US Olympic Trials, photo by PhotoRun.net
Brooks Sports Sprints to Year's Halfway Mark with Double-Digit Sales Growth
Leading Running Brand Captures Market Share, Retail and Consumer Recognition
Bothell, Wash. - July 31, 2012 - U.S. sales for leading running company Brooks picked up the pace in the first half of 2012 with 49 percent year-to-date growth across all channels. Brooks' total footwear sales in the U.S. are up more than 50 percent year-over-year, and apparel sales are up 36 percent for the same period.
"So far, 2012 is a banner year for Brooks with strong momentum moving us closer to our vision of being the leader in performance run and the next billion-dollar brand," said Jim Weber, president and CEO of Brooks Sports, Inc. "Our pace for the remainder of the year shows no sign of slowing and can only be amplified by consumer excitement for the next evolution of the PureProject collection that hits retail starting this December."
Business highlights fueling Brooks' growth for the first half of 2012 include:
· In May 2012, Brooks running shoe market share in the critically important SRA channel hit a 2012 high at 29.2 percent in dollars, gaining five points since last May, according to Leisure Trends Group.
· Brooks also holds the No. 1 position in the minimalist running shoe category at SRA with 30 percent market share in dollars, also according to Leisure Trends Group.
· Brooks' Ghost 5 neutral performance running shoe took home the coveted "Editor's Choice" award from worldwide authority on running Runner's World in its Fall Shoe Guide. This is the third year in a row the latest Ghost model has grabbed the top honor in the September issue.
· For the second year in a row, in June Brooks was crowned the Fleet Feet Sports Supplier of the Year at the Fleet Feet National Conference. Brooks earned top marks in almost every voting category including product, ease of doing business, customer service, distribution and shipping, sales reps, and marketing support.
· Brooks was found the definitive leader in the Sports Marketing Surveys Spring 2012 Running Specialty Store Retail Sales Survey. After conducting in-depth phone interviews with 64 specialty running storeowners and managers throughout the U.S., panelists rated a variety of brands relative to quantitative sales data and diverse qualitative attributes. Brooks took the gold in the following categories:
· Market Strength: 36 points separate Brooks from the pack, formulated by each brand's predicted strength as reported by all running specialty stores surveyed, regardless of whether they carry the brand in question.
· Brand Strength: Brooks outscored its competitors by 12 points in this measure that reflects the strength of a brand only in the stores that carry that brand.
· Dealer Confidence: Brooks took top billing in a measure of retailers' overall impressions of each brand and the company it represents.
· Brand Rating (Brooks No. 1 in 13 of 17 categories):
o Performance Technology;
o Credibility with Serious Runners;
o Overall Product Appeal of New Line vs. Current Line;
o In-House Customer Service;
o Accuracy of Delivery (At-once);
o Product Availability (At-once);
o Accuracy of Delivery (Advance);
o Product Availability (Advance);
o Speed of Delivery (At-once);
o Speed of Delivery (Advance);
o Sales Rep Support;
o Company's Terms/Policies;
o Current Consumer Interest.
Brooks' outlook heading into the remainder of 2012 and 2013 continues to look strong. Its footwear backlog is up 32 percent versus the same time last year for orders to be delivered in the next 12 months, while apparel backlog for the same time period is up 62 percent.
About Brooks Brooks Sports, Inc. is a leading running company that designs and markets a line of performance footwear, apparel, and accessories in more than 60 countries worldwide. A subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway Inc., Brooks was founded in 1914 and is headquartered in Bothell, Wash., near Seattle. The company's mission is to inspire everyone to run and be active by creating innovative gear that keeps them running longer, farther, and faster. Visit www.brooksrunning.com for more information, and to follow frequent brand updates on Twitter (@brooksrunning) and Facebook (Brooks Sports).