As season of 2019 hits Diamond League meeting seven this week (Pre Classic), I want to review the meets so far this season and give you a bit of a evaluation point on the long, long season.
The Doha DL was held May 3, 2019 in the newly upgraded Khalifa Stadium, including the amazing air condition system for the track. After speaking with our team, and watching the meet several times, my deep thoughts are as follows:
1. The air conditioning system kept the track and athletes cooler. Problem is, the tunnel is cool, the call room is warm and the track is cooler. How will that effect the athletes this fall?
— Doha Diamond League (@dldoha) May 3, 2019
2. Dina Asher-Smith: Doha was the European Champions coming out party. She is developing a new gear, and her start, middle of race and blasting down the final straight makes her an early medla contender for Doha!
3. Caster Semenya: Caster Semenya showed up in Doha literally hours after the CAS hearing. The IAAF vs. Semenya is not over, but during this battle, we will see Semenya show her amazing skills. There is no winning in this one. The IAAF is protecting women’s athletic rights and Caster Semenya has the support of a global movement. This is just hopeless.
— Doha Diamond League (@dldoha) May 2, 2019
4. Rivalries make our sport! Hellen Obiri and Genzebe Dibaba dueled over 3000m and it was a footrace! Sports fans know when rivalries are real and they love them! Watch how many big rivalries are revealed during the season!
5. The Long season will affect 2019 and 2020! Many top athletes did not compete in Doha. Why? A season that is almost 2 months longer than normal will affect 2019, yes, but also 2020. Athletes will be affected for the next two seasons, and perhaps more…..
To review the 2019 Doha Diamond League Meeting, check below:
Stahl and Semenya headline a night to remember in Doha.
— Doha Diamond League (@dldoha) May 4, 2019
Complete results: DLM-DOH19_03052019.txt