Facts and Figures
Women’s Javelin Throw
Tuesday 1 October
WCH all-times top-performers (new javelin):
71.70 Osleidys Menendez (CUB) Helsinki 2005 Gold
71.58 Barbora Spotakova (CZE) Daegu 2011 Gold
70.03 Christina ObergfÃ¶ll (GER) Helsinki 2005 Silver
WCH all-times top-performers (old Javelin until 1999)
76.64 Fatima Whitbread (GBR) Rome 1987 Gold
71.76 Petra Felke (GDR) Rome 1987 Silver
70.82 Tina Lilak (FIN) Helsinki 1983 Gold
Shortest winning distance:
66.52 Mirela Manjani (GRE) 2003
Biggest margin of victory:
4.88m (old javelin) Fatima Whitbread (GBR) versus Petra Felke-Meier (GDR) 1987
3.75m (new javelin) Osleidys Menendez (CUB) versus Mirela Tzelili (GRE) 2001
Smallest margin of victory:
10cm (old javelin) Xu Demei (CHN) versus Petra Felke-Meier (GDR) 1991
51cm (new javelin) Barbora Spotakova versus Li Lingwei (CHN) 2017
Barbora Spotakova (CZE) 2007, 2011, 2017
Osleidys Menendez (CUB) 2001, 2005
Mirela Tzelili-Manjani (GRE) 1999, 2003
Trine Hattestad (NOR) 1993, 1997
Most medals by country:
15 Germany (3g-5s-7b)
5 Greece (2g-1s-1b)
4 Czech Republic (3g-1b)
Interesting to know:
- 71.58 by Barbora Spotakova (CZE) has the longest throw in Asia (Daegu, 2 September 2011)
- 67.33 by Barbora Spotakova (CZE) has the longest throw in Doha (14 May 2010)
- 65.87 by Sonia Bisset (CUB) has the longest throw in October (Doha, 5 October 2000).
- 69.09m by Maria Abakumova (RUS) has the longest throw in qualification round since Moscow 2013. 67.27m by Huihui Lyu is the longest one in Doha 2019.
- 62.26m by Anete Kocina (LAT) in London 2017 is the longest non-qualified for final throw at World Championships. 60.84 by Haruka Kitaguchi (JPN) is the longest one in Doha 2019.
- None nation has managed to sweep all three medals in this event at World Championships.
- Throwers from the same team have never have managed to win men’s and women’s javelin at the same world championships.
- First attempt is the most powerful in finals. Five times World champions acieved their winning result with their first attempt.
- Only German and Cuban javelin throwers have managed to get more than one medal in women’s Javelin at the same WCH (Christina ObergfÃ¶ll 2nd and Steffi Nerius 3rd GER in both Helsinki 2005 and Osaka 2007, Osleidys Menendez 1st and Sonia Bisset 3rd CUB in Edmonton 2001, Petra Meier 2nd and Silke Renk 3rd GER in Tokyo 1991).
- If Barbora Spotakova (CZE) wins bronze or Huihui Lyu (CHN) wins, they will be the first with a completed set of medals in this event.
- If Huihui Lyu wins, it will be the first victory for Chinese and Asian athletes since Xu Demei (CHN) took the gold in Tokyo 1991 with 68.78m.
- Slovenia, Inia, USA and Croatia never won medals in this event. Can they do it Doha 2019?