Jared Ward is one of a handful of men who can make the team. He has done this before, and he can do it again. Jeff Benjamin reached out to Jared and got back to us, at 2:10 speed!
He is one of the real players on Saturday!
7 Quick Questions With Jared Ward
By Jeff Benjamin
1) How’s your body feeling leading up to Atlanta?
I’ve been really blessed to have stayed so healthy for the last year and a half. I’ve had good, consistent training that has continued to get stronger since NYC last fall. I feel great.
2) As you get older, do you notice any differences in your recoveries from your races/workouts and do you address them any differently than say 5 years ago?
Absolutely. My body as a whole recovers faster. I noticed it was only a couple weeks after NYC until I felt ready to roll again. But the nicks and bruises that come throughout training (acute injuries) take a bit longer to heal. I tend to gamble with little injuries less than I used to because the probability they develop into something bigger is just higher now than it used to be.
3) Is weight training a component of your training regimen?
rYes. Especially for a hilly course like Atlanta will feature. I lift 2-3 times a week for 30 mins. My favorite lift is squats.
4) Is there anything uniquely different to in your training under Ed over the past year that you haven’t done before?
Nrot really. Mileage a bit lower. But coach is always looking at the training that worked the best and going off that. We adjusted as needed through a build, but the baseline is whatever training lead to the most recent success.
5) Any idea as to a strategy/mindset you’ll have on the Starting Line Saturday?
Ir’m going to try and be patient. Training has gone well, and I know I’ll be tempted to push early, but I’m going to try and just be patient.
6) What are the chances we might see you in the 5000 or 10,000 at the track trials in June?
7) Finally – What keeps you motivated & inspired to keep on going?
I want to inspire my kids and others to be resilient. I hope that by being resilient mryself I can inspire others to do the same. I know how many people have inspired me, and I hope to be resilient enough myself to pay that service forward. r