The post-Olympic Diamond League meets kept the fire going from Tokyo! Lausanne was just a few days post-Eugene and the events kept us excited, one meeting after another.
The Athletissima meeting is held in the Stadium de La Pontaise, in Lausanne, Switzerland. A favorite meeting of mine, as the crowd enjoys all events and the three-ring circus atmosphere in the stadium is truly highlighted.
With the benefit of a week, let me provide for you seven reasons why I thought Athletissima was so much fun in 2021!
Lausanne, what made it special in 2021?
- The crowd. The Swiss fans were there in strong numbers to celebrate Swiss athletes and global athletes. They were rewarded with fine competition, a glorious night, and an ending to the meet that would have made any Swiss fan happy!
- Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce, oh my God! SAFP took on Elaine Thompson Herah, both with a good start, but, SAFP just blasted away from Fast Elaine in the last 50, going 10.60 PB to Elaine’s 10.64! Phenomenal!
- Mondo Duplantis is human. The Swedish pole vault star had a tough day at the office. More than anything, the hyper-competitive Mondo seemed to just become more motivated.
- The women’s high jump showed that the 3 Olympic medalists, Mariya Lasitskene, Yaroslavl Mihuchikh, and Nicole McDermott, compete so well and so completely against their competition.
- Marco Arop, the Canadian 800m runner, is on a tear after Tokyo. His wins in Eugene and Lausanne should wake some people up to the quality of the Men’s 800m event.
- Femke Bol has set at least (I lost count), 13 NRs at 400m and 400m hurdles in 2021. In Lausanne, Bol upset 2016 Olympic gold, 2021 Olympic silver medalist Dalilah Muhammed over the 400m hurdles.
- Jakub Ingebrigtsen is on a roll! Wins Olympic gold over 1,500m, wins Pre Classic Bowerman Mile with an NR, then wins a tactical 3000m in Laussane. Jakub is hot, hot, hot!