In this piece, your editor considered the takeaways from the first Diamond League in Poland, held on 6 August 2022.
The first Diamond League meeting in Poland, the Kamila Skolimowska Memorial, was a tremendous success on 6 August 2022. The Polish Federation thinks out of the box, and offering the meet for free to fans allows new fans to check out our sport. 21,000 boisterous Polish fans came to the Kamila Skolimowska Memorial this year!
Here are the six takeaways that I have from the first Diamond League meet after the 2022 World Championships:
- Trayvon Bromell is back. Trayvon has bronze medals seven years apart, in Beijing 2015 and Eugene 2022. His 2022 season shows that his fitness is back and his medal in Eugene was a huge boost to his confidence. Watch for Trayvon for the rest of this season!
- Mondo Duplantis continues to impress. Coming off his world record of 6.21 meters in Eugene, Mondo follows that up with a 6.10 meters jump. We can not wait to see what he does in the 2022 European Athletics Championships (August 15-21, 2022). Mondo is the star of his event, and soon, everyone will know who the Swedish superstar is!
- Pawel Fajdek is a beast master. The guy just won five straight World Championship hammer titles, and he is now focused on the 2022 European Athletics Championships. Fajdek is a supreme competitor, and he does not give up. And the guy has some cool tattoos. And his nemesis, Wojciech Nowicki, trains with Fadjek. They are good friends and tough competitors.
- Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce sprints in her own universe. Come on, 10.66, a fifth time of 10.66-10.68 in one season! The Jamaican pocket rocket is, well, stunning. Her start is superb, but the middle of her race puts everybody else fighting for second and third. Her World Championships 100 meters was stunning, and her 200 meters just showed that the five-time 100m World Champion does not know how to give up. Her race in Poland was spectacular!
- Femke Bol runs equally well over the 400 meters and 400-meter hurdles! At the upcoming European Champs, Femke Bol is doubling at the 400 meters and 400-meter hurdles. A 49.75 for the 400 meters and 52.17 for the 400-meter hurdles in 2022 shows that, in Europe, Femke Bol is pretty close to unbeatable, and globally, she continues to impress, taking silver in the 2022 World Athletics Championships at the 400-meter hurdles, and then, that amazing anchor leg in the Mixed 4x400m relays where Femke almost gave the Netherlands a gold medal in her stretch run!
- World Champion Chase Ealey is dominating the shot put! Chase Ealey took control of the Eugene 2022 final with her tremendous first throw of 20.49m. In Chorzow, Chase Ealey, with newfound confidence from her brilliant Eugene performance, continues to show her fellow shot putters that she is out there, every time, to win. She is a great interview too!