This is Coffee With Larry, Part 1 and 2 on adidas canceling their contract with Kanye West. This is a program for Sunday, October 30, 2022.
This is my daily chat with #RunBlogRun
viewers and track fans on all things track & field!
Out topics: SPECIAL EDITION, Part 1.
1. adidas cancels relationship with Kanye West, aka Ye, over anti-semitic remarks.
2. How does a global brand manage ambassadors’ comments, and how does a brand respond to hate speech?
3. Kanye West will lose half a billion in adidas, Balciniega, and other sponsor cancellations, but there are repercussions for actions.
4. adidas is a global citizen, a German company, and had to respond.
5. Brands have responsibilities to the board, employees, brand legacy, and financial obligations; how do they not just look the other way.
6. The complications of adidas as a German company that employed slave labor. How Germany has dealt honestly with its past.
7. How my family’s past, Austrian, Hungarian, and German, affects me and my view of this situation.
8. Freedom of speech, union busting, and how family history affects our view.
9. adidas did the right thing.
10. Great article by New York Times,
This is part 1.
SPECIAL EDITION, PART 2: Doing the right thing, adidas cancels Kanye West deal!
1. adidas has a complicated relationship with brand ambassadors.
2. Nineteen days from “under review” to canceling contract”-how much time should it have taken.
3. Kanye West’s product is approx 1/23 of adidas entire sales and $257 million in profits.
4. How many other brands would have done the same.
5. Not asking for sainthood, but adidas had to make this decision, and it was the right thing to do.
6. How do they make up a billion in business?