I hope you enjoy Witness the Wonder as much as I am writing the daily column. I am learning about Budapest, Hungary, and some of the world’s finest athletes.
Budapest will be my 14th World Athletics Outdoor Championships (I have also gone to five World Indoors). I must admit that I love everything about the World Athletics Championships, from visiting with fellow media and fellow fans to the food, culture, and each session of the World Championships, interviewing the athletes and just enjoying the stadium full of global track fans.
I hope that you can join me in Budapest!
For the next 37 days, RunBlogRun will be posting a story a day on the buildup to the World Athletics Outdoor Championships, to be held in Budapest, Hungary, from August 19-August 27, 2023. Today, April 24, 2023, we are writing about the 2023 World Outdoor Athletics Championships in Budapest.
Budapest will be hosting the World Champs for nine days. The National Stadium will be hosting the incredible world championships, the first in Central Europe for 14 years.
The National Stadium, officially called the National Athletics Center, is a brand-new stadium built specifically for the World Championships.
Two thousand athletes from 200 countries will be competing in this exciting championship.
The finest athletes in the world, in the sprints, middle distances, long distances, road events, vertical and horizontal jumps, plus the throws, will be in Budapest for nine days in August 2023.
The complete schedule for the 2023 World Athletics Championships is right here:
The National Stadium will host 14 sessions, both morning and evening sessions, in the stadium. An additional six sessions will be held in the city center of Budapest.
One of the many things that I love about World Championships is that they provide a chance to learn about the local culture, and history, food, and architecture.
Budapest is one of the cultural centers of Central Europe. Hungary has an incredibly rich and diverse history, from the Romans to the Magyars to the Ottoman Turks to the modern country of Hungary; visitors will find the city of Budapest and the country of Hungary full of lifelong memories.
To read all of our earlier stories in Witness the Wonder, numbers 1-7:
1. Witness the Wonder, World Outdoor Athletics Championships Budapest 2023, Day 1; Welcome to the World Champs! https://runblogrun.com/2023/04/witness-the-wonder-world-outdoor-athletics-championships-budapest-2023-day-1-welcome-to-the-world-champs.html
2. Witness the Wonder, World Outdoor Athletics Championships Budapest 2023, Day 2, Meeting the Stars of Hungarian Athletics! https://www.runblogrun.com/2023/04/witness-the-wonder-world-outdoor-athletics-championships-budapest-2023-day-2-meeting-the-stars-of-hungarian-athletics.html
3. Witness the Wonder, World Outdoor Athletics Championships Budapest 2023, Day 3, Why you should go to Budapest! https://www.runblogrun.com/2023/04/witness-the-wonder-world-outdoor-athletics-championships-budapest-2023-day-3.html
4. Witness the Wonder, World Outdoor Athletics Championships Budapest 2023, Day 4, Mondo Duplantis & Nafi Thiam are Europe’s finest; how will they do in Budapest? https://www.runblogrun.com/2023/04/witness-the-wonder-world-outdoor-athletics-championships-budapest-2023-day-3-mondo-duplantis-nafi-thiam-are-europes-finest-how-will-they-do-in-budapest.html
5. Witness the Wonder, World Championships Budapest 2023, Day 5, Just What Will Faith Kipyegon Do in Budapest? https://www.runblogrun.com/2023/04/witness-the-wonder-world-championships-budapest-2023-day-5-just-what-will-faith-kipyegon-do-in-budapest.html
6. Witness the Wonder, World Athletics Championships Budapest 2023, Day 6, Mutaz Essa Barshim. Will he take a 4th straight title in Budapest? https://www.runblogrun.com/2023/04/witness-the-wonder-world-athletics-championships-budapest-2023-mutaz-essa-barshim-will-he-take-a-4th-straight-title-in-budapest.html
7. Witness the Wonder, World Athletics Outdoor Champs Budapest 2023, Day 7, Noah Lyles wants to burn up the track in Budapest in August! https://www.runblogrun.com/2023/04/witness-the-wonder-world-athletics-outdoor-champs-budapest-2023-noah-lyles-wants-to-burn-up-the-track-in-budapest-in-august.html
The World Championships in Budapest, Hungary, will be held August 19-27, 2023, and tickets are available now! Click here to learn more about ticket sales: https://tickets.wabudapest23.com/
Your favorite writer suggests a wonderful book on Hungary, The Hungarians, A Thousand Years of Victory in Defeat, by Paul Lendvai, Translated by Ann Major, Princeton University Press, www.pupress.princeton.edu.
Leave a Reply