This is Coffee with Larry for Saturday, August 11, 2023.
Coffee with Larry is our almost daily coverage of the sport of athletics, posted on RunBlogRun.
1. More thoughts on Michael Payton, Payton Group, and his passing.
2. Budapest is just a week away!
3. Sydney McLaughlin-Levrone is out, and Athing Mu is up in the air; what is going on?
4. Coaches are looking at the challenges of five years in a row of major championships.
5. US team in Budapest will be excellent. Depth is outrageous.
Larry Eder has had a 51-year involvement in the sport of athletics. Larry has experienced the sport as an athlete, coach, magazine publisher, and now, journalist and blogger. His first article, on Don Bowden, America's first sub-4 minute miler, was published in RW in 1983. Larry has published several magazines on athletics, from American Athletics to the U.S. version of Spikes magazine. He currently manages the content and marketing development of the RunningNetwork, The Shoe Addicts, and RunBlogRun. Of RunBlogRun, his daily pilgrimage with the sport, Larry says: "I have to admit, I love traveling to far away meets, writing about the sport I love, and the athletes I respect, for my readers at runblogrun.com, the most of anything I have ever done, except, maybe running itself." Also does some updates for BBC Sports at key events, which he truly enjoys. Theme song: Greg Allman, " I'm no Angel."