Coach Frank Gagliano is a fascinating combination of the anecdotal and scientific. 'Gags', as he is known to those former athletes, and current athletes, and those who care and respect him. Jeff Benjamin sent a note to Coach Gags from RunBlogRun on ten pointers to get ready for championships. You will find the common sense and thoughtful tips that all coaches should keep on their to do lists.
1. Start Cutting Back Mileage slowly 10 days before race. Example would be, if you are running 50 miles a week, go to 40 miles a week before championships.
2. Don't change routine. Example: Monday strength to strength, but cut back reps. Wednesday, speed, cut back speed and do not run fast.
3. Have spikes with proper length of spikes for hard surface. Frozen, muddy. Bring all spikes to event, be prepared for change due to weather.
4. Live by the clock! Bed at ? Up at ? For Ten Days before the race.
5. Plenty of Fluids. Try to stay hydrated at all times.
6. Get ready to race mentally the Tuesday before a Saturday race. The mind is 70% of the season.
7. Keep up with your school work!
8. Keep your same diet . Do not change anything.
9. Five athletes score in Cross Country, but 7 should be ready to race well.
10. HAVE FUN!
Thanks! Coach Gags.