Our friend, Alfons Juck, and his EME News team provides you, our readers with some of the best news daily on the athletics world! Alfons, working much later than me, provided this report on Top Ten Moments and other fun to consider on this New Years’ Eve!
TOP TEN TRACK MEMORIES 2014
1) First human to run marathon under hours.
2) Renaud Lavillenie breaking legendary Sergey Bubka (at his meet) record in the pole vault to 616 cm (improving in that competition by 8 cm).
3) Huge space between the jumper and the bar when Barshim cleared 243 in Brussels and Ukhov 242 at Praha Indoor meet.
4) Doping shocker from German Television. Doping problems in Kenya.
5) The best one evening sprint double 100/200 ever by Justin Gatlin.
6) Undefeated seasons for Adams, Ibarguen, Gatlin, Farah (track).
7) Start of presidential campaigns on the IAAF and European level.
8) No men senior individual outdoor World record in the stadium.
9) Top marks coming close to impossible past (Obiri 3000 m, Perkovic
discus, Ibarguen triple, Fajdek hammer).
10) Richard Kilty from nowhere winning the 60 m World Indoor Gold, got selected because of Dasaolu injury.
More personal: Happy spectators and sponsors right after Ostrava Golden Spike was over. Usain Bolt debut in Poland with sub 10 under closed roof of Warszawa National Stadium. Ostrava getting Continental Cup 2018. Pavel Maslak clearly winning World Indoor Gold 2014.
TOP TEN EXPECTATIONS 2015
1) Who will be the new IAAF President.
2) Return in top shape by Usain Bolt.
3) Will SotomayorÂ´s World records go? (243 indoor and 245 outdoor)
4) First 80 m in women hammer (again).
5) Who from javelin mothers will be the best (Spotakova, Abakumova, Obergfoll).
6) Four year ban should bring less cases, but the past is still on our backs (what will bring re-testing from Osaka 2007?).
7) What will be the outcome of IAAF Ethics Commission investigation?
8) Will Kirani James come close to Michael JohnsonÂ´s 400 m WR?
9) Asbel Kiprop and Jairus Birech still thinking about WRÂ´s in their events.
10) World Champs in Beijing a spectator success like Olympics in Birds nest.
More personal: One World record during Ostrava Golden Spike, One 240 at indoor High Jumps, Vesely winning gold in Beijing, Maslak and Kilty winning golds in Prague 02 Arena.
CHECK-BACK OF WISHES FOR 2014
1. First 80+ in women hammer.
2. Great marathon debuts go well (Mo Farah, Tirunesh Dibaba).
NOT BAD, NOT SUPERB
3. Continuation of fight against doping cheaters (including the past with retesting).
BIG ISSUE AT THE END OF THE YEAR
4. Zuzana Hejnova breaking 400 m hurdles World record.
5. Full stadiums in Sopot, Zurich and Marrakesh (and all top one day meets).
6. Good ideas how to improve the presentation of our sport in stadiums and in media.
SOME, BUT NOT BIG ONES
7. No meets disappearing, no stadiums losing track.
8. Men marathon WR under .
9. Renaud Lavillenie going over 610 in the pole vault.
YES AND EVEN MORE
10. Ashton Eaton getting under 47.5 at 400 m Hurdles.