Women’s 1,500 meter final, Montreal 1976, photo copyright: Alemy.com
LAUSANNE (SUI): EA President Svein Arne Hansen said a further consultation period will take place regarding the proposal to rewrite records set before 2005. EA head acknowledged reaction to the proposals, which were part of a report approved by the European Athletics Council last month, had been mixed. Hansen claimed the plans, which were described as “radical” by the governing body, had achieved their primary aim of instigating a debate around the issue. “In addition, there is strong support for the three main conditions proposed for the recognition of future record: records to be set in designated competitions, minimum number of doping control tests in the 12 months prior to the record and storage of the post-record doping control sample for 10 years,” said Hansen. The European Athletics President confirmed a further consultation period would take place over the next four weeks and encouraged stakeholders to contribute to the process. With the help of EA release and insidethegames.
HAVANA (CUB): High jump World record holder Javier Sotomayor is not supporting the latest proposal to change the list of records. He said Tuesday he was “very offended” by the proposal of the European Athletics. Explained the 49-year-old Cuban to the official daily Granma.
RunBlogRun opines: Look, we all know that there are several World Records, from the old days and yes, a few from modern times, that are questionable. But, to change the records requires the wisdom of King Solomon. While this process is a good process, and we at RunBlogRun applaud the consideration, it has a long way to go.