This is the update on the Annual Virtual TCS New York City Marathon. This seems like the way that marathons are being done now, in this time of the pandemic.
Third Annual Virtual TCS New York City Marathon to Take Place from October 17 – November 1
Registration to open on July 28 with four different tiers, including uncapped free tier
NYRR Coaching Lab to offer virtual training platform for runners around the world
NYRR Volvo Virtual Racing surpasses 150,000 total finishers since launching in 2018
New York, July 14, 2020 – The Virtual TCS New York City Marathon will return for a third consecutive year and will include four different registration tiers, including an uncapped free tier, when registration opens on July 28.
The Virtual TCS New York City Marathon period will begin on October 17 and finish on November 1. It will be part of New York Road Runners’ Volvo Virtual Racing Powered by Strava, which allows runners anywhere in the world to run a race at their convenience and the location of their choice during a specified period of time.
“Our Virtual TCS New York City Marathon will connect the global running community at a time when more and more people are running as a way to stay healthy during these difficult times,” said Michael Capiraso, president and CEO of New York Road Runners. “Although the coronavirus pandemic has forced a cancellation of this year’s in-person race through the five boroughs of New York City, we’re excited to continue taking the marathon journey with runners who will be challenging themselves on 26.2-mile courses around the world.”
“Tata Consultancy Services is proud to support the Virtual TCS New York City Marathon for the third consecutive year, especially during these unprecedented times,” said Surya Kant, President of North America, UK and Europe, TCS. “With technology bringing us closer together, the Virtual Marathon will encourage runners and enthusiasts to stay motivated and optimistic and provide runners from around the world with the opportunity to run together, while apart.”
Runners can register for the 2020 Virtual TCS New York City Marathon in the following ways:
- Limited Guaranteed Entry Methods
- 1,000 entries will be made available on a first-come, first-serve basis at a $150 Member/$175 Non-Member price, with finishers receiving guaranteed, non-complimentary entry to the 2021 TCS New York City Marathon, 2022 TCS New York City Marathon, or 2023 TCS New York City Marathon. Runners will also receive virtual marathon training with NYRR Coaching Lab, a medal, running buff, and a 60-day Strava subscription.
- 200 entries will be made available on a first-come, first-serve basis at a $150 Member/$175 Non-Member price to those who raise $500 or more for Team for Kids, NYRR’s charity running team that raises funds for NYRR’s youth programs. Runners will receive the same benefits as mentioned above, in addition to a Team for Kids backpack and singlet.
- Unlimited Entry Methods
- An unlimited number of entries will be available at a $50 Member/$60 Non-Member price, with runners receiving a medal, running buff, 50% off virtual marathon training with NYRR Coaching Lab, and a 60-day Strava subscription.
- An unlimited number of entries will also be available at no cost. Registrants will receive 10% off virtual marathon training with NYRR Coaching Lab and a30-day Strava subscription.
Last month, the 2020 TCS New York City Marathon in-person race, set for November 1, was canceled due to coronavirus-related health and safety concerns for runners, spectators, volunteers, staff, and the many partners and communities that support the event. The virtual edition of the race is expected to see increased participation this year as a result.
Virtual TCS New York City Marathon participants who also register for the NYRR Coaching Lab will be provided a training plan based on their level of running and take part in weekly video calls with NYRR coaches and fellow runners to discuss and enhance their training. The NYRR Coaching Lab launched in 2020 to provide runners around the world the opportunity to receive expert training advice virtually.
NYRR Volvo Virtual Racing launched in beta together with Strava at the start of 2018. Since its inception, there have now been more than 150,000 total finishers from 100 different countries across 29 virtual races. The largest virtual race thus far was the 2020 NYRR Virtual Resolution Run 5K with 16,246 finishers. Over the first two years of the Virtual Marathons, thousands of finishers took part from 48 different states and 73 different countries. Proceeds from the virtual races support NYRR’s mission to help and inspire people through running, and benefit NYRR’s youth and community programs.
For more information on the Virtual TCS New York City Marathon, please visit https://www.nyrr.org/
About New York Road Runners (NYRR)
NYRR’s mission is to help and inspire people through running. Since 1958, New York Road Runners has grown from a local running club to the world’s premier community running organization. NYRR’s commitment to New York City’s five boroughs features races, community events, free youth running initiatives and school programs, the NYRR RUNCENTER featuring the New Balance Run Hub, and training resources that provide hundreds of thousands of people each year, from children to seniors, with the motivation, know-how, and opportunity to Run for Life. NYRR’s premier event, and the largest marathon in the world, is the TCS New York City Marathon. Held annually on the first Sunday in November, the race features 50,000 runners, from the world’s top professional athletes to a vast range of competitive, recreational, and charity runners. To learn more, visit www.nyrr.org.
Leave a Reply